Can Rabbits Eat Pineapple Skin? [6 Reasons to Avoid The Skin]

HomeDietCan Rabbits Eat Pineapple Skin?

Pineapple skin shouldn’t be fed to rabbits for several reasons. To begin, the spiky skin causes digestive issues. The skin also contains a compound called bromelain, which can cause gastrointestinal upset in rabbits. Lastly, pineapple skin has a lot of sugar, which can be harmful to rabbits.

Rabbits are very delicate creatures, and their diet should be carefully monitored. While they may seem like they can eat anything, there are actually many things that are harmful to rabbits. One of those things is pineapple skin.

If you want to give your rabbit a treat, there are plenty of other fruits and vegetables that are safe for them to eat.

But why exactly is pineapple skin so bad for rabbits? And what should you do if you accidentally fed some to your furry friend?

Reasons Why Pineapple Skin is Bad For Rabbits

There are several reasons why pineapple skin is bad for rabbits. To begin, the skin is full of sharp spikes that can cause damage to a rabbit’s mouth and digestive system. In addition, pineapple skin is very acidic and can be difficult for rabbits to digest.

It doesn’t stop there, though! Here are six reasons you should avoid feeding pineapple skin to your rabbit.

Contains Bromelain

One of the most dangerous compounds found in pineapple skin is bromelain. Bromelain is a digestive enzyme that can cause gastrointestinal upset in rabbits. If your rabbit ingests this enzyme, it may experience diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

In severe cases, bromelain can even lead to death. For this reason, it’s important to ensure your rabbit never ingests any pineapple skin.

High Level of Acidity

Pineapple skin is also very acidic. This acidity can cause stomach upset and irritation in rabbits. It can also cause sores in the mouth and throat.

Sharp Edges Can Cause Damage to Mouth and Digestive System

As we mentioned before, the sharp edges on pineapple skin can cause damage to a rabbit’s mouth and digestive system. If your rabbit ingests pineapple, it may experience bleeding, pain, and difficulty swallowing.

Could Cause Diarrhea or Constipation

Because pineapple skin is difficult to digest, it can cause diarrhea or constipation in rabbits. If you notice your rabbit has diarrhea, it’s important to provide them with plenty of water. Diarrhea can quickly lead to dehydration, which is very dangerous for rabbits.

High Sugar Content That Could Lead to Weight Gain

Pineapple skin is also high in sugar, which could lead to weight gain if consumed in excess. Not only that, but if a rabbit gets too full on sugar, it may not have much of an appetite for its regular food. This can lead to malnutrition and other health problems.

The Skin Gets Sprayed With Chemicals and Pesticides

Finally, the skin of pineapple is often sprayed with chemicals and pesticides. These chemicals can be harmful to rabbits if ingested. Even if you thoroughly wash the skin, some chemicals may still remain.

What Should I Do if My Rabbit Eats Pineapple Skin?

If you think your rabbit has ingested pineapple skin, it’s important to take action immediately.

Remove The Pineapple From Reach

The first thing you should do is remove the pineapple from reach. The last thing you want is for this to accidentally happen over and over again. Learn your lesson from the first time and keep it out of reach for the future.

Offer Them Plenty of Fresh Water

Next, offer your rabbit plenty of fresh water. This will help to flush the pineapple skin out of their system. This is especially important if the pineapple skin has caused diarrhea.

Provide Plenty of Hay and Pellets to Aid Digestion

Another thing you can do is provide plenty of hay and pellets. This will help to aid digestion and ease any stomach upset.

Monitor For Symptoms For 12-24 Hours

You should also monitor your rabbit for symptoms for the next 12-24 hours. Symptoms to look out for include diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

Contact Vet If You Notice Symptoms

If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately. They will be able to provide further treatment and care.

Yes To The Pineapple – No To The Skin

Feeding your rabbit pineapple skin can be dangerous and lead to various health problems. If you think your rabbit has ingested any, it’s important to take action immediately. Remove the pineapple from reach, offer them plenty of fresh water, and provide plenty of hay and pellets to aid digestion. Monitor for symptoms for 12-24 hours and contact your vet if you notice any. By following these steps, you can help to keep your rabbit safe and healthy.

Bryan Moore
Bryan Moore
I am Bryan, owner of I love all animals but find myself especially drawn to rabbits. I have been very lucky to be able to turn my passion into my profession, and I am grateful every day that I get to do what I love. It is my hope that through this website, I can help others learn more about these wonderful creatures and provide them with all the information they need to care for their own rabbit. View my Full Author Page Here

Popular posts

My favorites

I'm social